Here are a few simple rules to help get you started.
The rules are also printed on our Larkin Square paddles. For a more detailed list of rules or to order your own equipment, visit the USA Pickleball Association’s website.
OFFICIAL PICKLEBALL RULES
- Serve the ball underhand, diagonally, cross-court, bouncing inside the court beyond the non-volley zone.
- One foot must be kept behind the back line when serving.
- The ball must bounce once on each side after serving.
- Once it has bounced on both sides, the ball may be returned from a bounce or a volley.
- Players cannot hit a volley in the first seven feet from the net (non-volley zone).
- Points can only be scored when serving.
- A point is scored when the opponent faults by missing the ball, hitting it in the net or out of bounds, hitting a volley in the non-volley zone, or volleying the ball before it has bounced once on each side of the net.
- Only one service attempt is allowed (except in the event of a “let,” when the ball touches the net and lands on other side).
- In doubles, each member of the serving team serves until they lose the service. Once both players have lost the serve, the service goes to the opposing team.
- At the beginning of a game, the serving side relinquishes the serve after first fault.
- A game is played to 11 points, win by 2.